Steps to Opening a Bank On Certified Account.
A basic banking account is an important first step in participating in the financial mainstream, depositing your paycheck safely, paying bills effectively, accessing or building credit, and saving for emergencies and the future. However, one key challenge facing people without accounts has been a lack of safe and appropriate banking products offered by mainstream financial institutions, particularly those without overdraft. Instead, nearly 63 million adults across the nation rely on costly alternative financial services – like cash checkers, payday lenders, and pawn shops – for routine financial transactions.
Banks and credit unions across North Carolina offer low-cost, low-fee transaction accounts that are certified as meeting the Bank On National Account Standards. Want your bank or credit union’s account to join this list? Get in touch with the CFE Fund and learn more!
Certified Accounts In Our Area
No Overdraft Fees. No Dormancy Fees. No Low Balance Fees. Free Check Cashing.
Ally Bank Interest Checking Account (Online Only)
- Ally eCheck Deposit, Mobile Banking, No Transaction Limit+
Atlantic Union Bank PRISM Checking
- Digital Wallet, Direct Deposit, Online Bill Pay, Mobile Banking, *Fee waived for 13-24 and 62+
Bank of America Advantage SafeBalance Banking Account
- Digital Wallet, No Transaction Limit, Savings Account Optional, *Fee waived if under 25 & a student
Bank OZK Freedom Advantage Checking
- Zelle, Online Bill Pay, Checkless Account, No Transaction Limit
BMO Harris Smart Money™ Account
- Zelle, Digital Wallet, Online Bill Pay, Mobile Check Deposit, No Transaction Limit, *Fee waived if under 25
Chase Secure Banking Account
- Zelle, Digital Wallet, Online Bill Pay
Discover Bank® Cashback Debit Checking Account (Online Only)
- Zelle, Digital Wallet, Direct Deposit, Online Bill Pay
Fifth Third Bank Express Account
- Zelle, Free Check Cashing, No Cost Money Orders
First Horizon Bank Access Checking Account
- Online Bill Pay, Checkless Account
First National Bank eStyle Account
- *When you open account in branch, $25 online.
- **At least one deposit each statement cycle, or by performing 5 customer initiated transactions each statement cycle.
LifeStore Bank Progress Account
- Online Bill Pay, Checkless Account.
Piedmont Federal Savings Bank PF Boost
- Zelle, Mobile Banking, Online Bill Pay, eStatements, Checkless Account, *$0 with direct deposit enrollment
PNC Bank SmartAccess Account
- Prepaid Visa, Online Bill Pay, Direct Deposit, Digital Wallet
PNC Bank Foundation Checking
- Digital Wallet, Money Management Course (online)
Regions Now Checking
- Digital Wallet, Savings Account, Mobile Banking, No Paid Overdraft/Returned Item Fees, Unlimited transactions allowed with no transaction fee, LifeGreen Savings with 1% annual savings bonus – automatic transfer of funds of at least $10 from the Regions checking account to the LifeGreen Savings account in at least 10 of any of the 12 calendar months that precede the month of the account opening anniversary
TD Bank TD Essential Banking
- Zelle, Checkless Account, Online Bill Pay, Mobile Banking, *No fee for teens 13-17
Truist Confidence Account*
- No overdraft fees, online banking, free financial education, fee waived for under 25
Truist Money Account*
- Prepaid Debit, Direct Deposit, Overdraft Protection, *Fee waived with $500+ monthly deposit
United Community Bank United Essential Banking
- Checkless Account, Free eStatements
US Bank Safe Debit Account
- Checkless Account, Mobile Banking, *Cannot be waived
Wells Fargo Clear Access Banking
- Zelle, Online Bill Pay, Mobile Deposit, Digital Wallet, *No fee for teens 13-24
Woodforest National Bank WBank Account
- ATM Access, Checkless Account